Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Monterey Personal Injury Lawyer
Free Confidential Consultations 831-215-4294
Monterey Personal Injury Lawyer > Blog > Car Accidents > How to Get Your Accident Report from the Monterey Police

How to Get Your Accident Report from the Monterey Police


A car crash can cause devastating, sometimes irreparable damage.

If you are or a loved one is the victim of a car crash, seeking compensation for the monetary and emotional damages a car accident can wreak may be necessary.

It may seem like a hassle to obtain, but if your crash occurred in Monterey County, you must have a copy of the crash report from the Monterey Police if you plan to file a lawsuit. It is crucial evidence in building your case.

If you are considering pressing charges, do not hesitate to contact an experienced car accident lawyer at the Allen Law Firm.

To get your accident report from the Monterey Police Department, you will need to fill out a Request for Release of Information form.

Here is how to correctly complete and mail the form.

Complete The Request of Release of Information Form

You can access the form here.

First, specify that you are requesting a crime/incident report, and not an arrest record or “other.”

Then, provide the Monterey Police Department with the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your date of birth
  • The report number of the accident (if you have it)
  • Date and time of the accident
  • The address or location of the incident
  • The name of the requestor (yourself) or agency (typically insurance agencies)
  • Your phone number
  • Your fax number (if you have one and would like to include it)
  • The mailing address

The mailing address is important because the address you list is where the Monterey Police report will be sent.

You must also specify your role in the incident. There are many options, including:

  • Property owner
  • Authorized individual
  • Parent or guardian
  • Representative of insurance company or insurance adjusting agency
  • Attorney
  • Or specify under “other party of interest.”

If you are completing the form for yourself, select “person of interest.”

Finally, complete the certification located at the bottom of the form. Check “I am” before “the party of interest,” and then sign and date the form.

Mail The Form

crash report monterey policeRequests can be faxed to (831) 755-3810 or mailed to:

1414 Natividad Road

Salinas, CA 93906

For any questions, call the Monterey County Sheriff’s department at (831) 755-3700.

Get Help With Your Lawsuit

In whatever area of law, filing lawsuits is confusing and challenging. Hiring an experienced car accident attorney is crucial to attaining the compensation and justice that you deserve.

Contact us today for the help you need. Initial consultations are free, and we do not accept payment until we get results.

Author Photo

Scott Allen

Scott Allen is the founder of Allen Law Firm. Scott earned his Juris Doctor degree from the Boalt Hall School of Law (now known as Berkeley Law) at the University of Berkeley in California and has over 20 years of experience practicing personal injury law. He is a member of the State Bar of California and has earned a Superb rating by Avvo. To learn more about Scott, read his full bio here.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn