Symptoms Of PTSD After A Monterey Car Accident And Your Rights In Seeking Compensation
Monterey car accidents are violent events. The unexpected nature of a crash or collision takes drivers by surprise and, in addition to their physical injuries, often leaves them suffering severe psychological impacts in the aftermath. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is common among victims and can jeopardize their physical and mental health for years into the future. Find out the symptoms of car accident PTSD and how to get compensation.
Symptoms of Car Accident-Related PTSD
Post-traumatic stress disorder is a mental health condition that can also have major impacts on your physical health. The American Psychiatric Association (APA) states that it can happen to anyone who was either involved in or witnessed a traumatic event. It is often associated with military members and victims of violent crimes but may occur in the aftermath of a car accident as well.
The unexpected and violent nature of a crash can be overwhelming for victims. While emergency medical providers are likely to be focused on the physical harm they suffered, symptoms of PTSD can appear in the weeks, months, and years after. These often include:
- Intrusive thoughts about the accident, which can happen unexpectedly and while engaged in seemingly unrelated activities;
- A strong aversion to riding in a car or getting behind the wheel;
- Feelings of reliving the crash, both when driving or engaged in other tasks;
- Nightmares, insomnia, and other sleep disturbances;
- Eating disorders resulting in dramatic weight gain or loss;
- Withdrawal from activities and increased social isolation;
- Overwhelming and chronic depression and anxiety.
Compensation For PTSD In A Monterey Car Accident Claim
When a car accident in Monterey happens, and the other driver is to blame, you have the right to hold them legally liable. Under the California Civil Code, you may be entitled to compensation, even if you were partially to blame for the crash.
In addition to property damages, medical expenses, and lost wages, you have the right to be compensated for any car accident-related PTSD you suffer. This includes reimbursement for any actual costs that result, such as requiring therapy and having to take time off work, as well as non-economic damages. These may include:
- Physical pain and suffering caused by your injuries;
- Mental pain and anguish;
- The impact of any scarring or disfigurement;
- Lost enjoyment in life due to being unable to engage in your usual hobbies and activities.
Compensation for car accident PTSD in Monterey may be available by filing an insurance claim against the driver or through a car accident lawsuit filed through the Monterey County Civil Court.
Contact Our Monterey Car Accident Lawyer And Request A Consultation Today
Symptoms of PTSD after a car accident in Monterey can impact your health and well-being for months or even years into the future. At the Allen Law Firm, we provide the caring support and professional legal representation you need to get compensation. To request a consultation, call or contact our Monterey car accident lawyer today.