Play It Safe To Prevent Car Accidents In Big Sur
Big Sur is one of the many scenic attractions that bring people to Monterey County. Whether you are a local who routinely enjoys driving along the cliffs or are one of the many visitors road-tripping through the area, safety is a concern.
The hairpin turns and tight roads going through the Santa Lucia mountains can be treacherous, and Big Sur is one of the most common places for car accidents in Monterey to happen. Unfortunately, these often result in serious, potentially fatal injuries. Find out more about common hazards facing drivers in Big Sur and how to play it safe.
Be Aware Of Common Hazards When Driving Big Sur
The Big Sur Food And Wine Festival is a popular event that takes place each year during the first week in November. It draws culinary aficionados from around the world and makes traffic in the area heavier than usual.
Even without a major event going on, driving through Big Sur can be dangerous. The Transportation Agency For Monterey County (TAMC) reports that this mountainous and rustic section of Highway One is one of the most common places for car accidents to happen. It also has one of the highest rates of life-threatening, potentially fatal personal injuries. Reasons Big Sur is so dangerous include:
- Narrow roads cutting through the mountains;
- Sharp curves that are difficult to navigate and impede visibility;
- Foggy, damp weather, which can make roads slick and harder to see;
- Lack of guardrails in many places;
- Lack of street lights and traffic signals;
- People frequently stopping at pullouts and walking or biking along the road.
Play it Safe When Driving Through Big Sur
Many of the qualities that make driving Big Sur dangerous are also part of its appeal. That and the breathtaking scenery you pass, which can make drivers more likely to get distracted. Whether you are going out for dinner, planning a day of hiking with friends, passing through on vacation, or attending popular local events, the Big Sur Chamber of Commerce encourages you to play it safe.
In addition to being mindful of the environmental impacts you have during your visit, be on your best driving behavior as well. To reduce Big Sur car accident risks, follow these tips:
- Make sure everyone in your vehicle is buckled up at all times;
- Keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel;
- Go the speed limit;
- Avoid tailgating and other aggressive behaviors;
- Provide advance warning when pulling over;
- Keep out of the road when getting out of your vehicle;
- Remain in your lane and avoid passing on double yellow lines, which can result in head-on collisions.
Request A Consultation With Our Monterey Car Accident Lawyer
Despite taking precautions, car accidents in Big Sur can still happen. At the Allen Law Firm, we help you get compensation. To protect your rights in filing a claim, call or contact our office online and request a consultation with our Monterey car accident lawyer today.