Highway Hypnosis: What it Is And How It Increases Monterey Car Accident Risks
Whether taking a long trip or shorter car rides on local roads you frequently travel, there is a risk of ‘zoning out’. Getting lost in your thoughts can cause you to go on a sort of auto-pilot, where you barely notice your surroundings or how far you have traveled.
This is a common type of driving phenomenon called highway hypnosis. While most motorists experience it at one point or another, it is important not to downplay the risks. Find out warning signs and how it increases the likelihood of car accidents in Monterey.
Warning Signs of Highway Hypnosis
Highway hypnosis is a common type of distracted driving behavior. While it is often associated with truck drivers and frequently occurs when taking long, monotonous trips, the fact is it can increase car accident risks for other motorists as well. It can happen anytime you are behind the wheel and find yourself focusing more on your own thoughts rather than the road in front of you. This includes when running routine daily errands, driving to and from work, or on any type of road you use regularly.
According to Healthline, most drivers do not recognize highway hypnosis until afterward, when they realize they are only dimly aware of driving long stretches or having reached their destination. Warning signs include:
- Feeling tired, dazed, or groggy;
- Having difficulty concentrating;
- Watery eyes and blurred vision;
- Heavy eyelids and frequent blinking;
- Slower reaction times;
- Weaving in and out of lanes;
- Driving either over or above the speed limit.
Ways To Reduce Monterey Car Accident Risks
As with any type of driver distraction, highway hypnosis significantly increases the likelihood of a car accident in Monterey. The National Institutes of Health reports that assistive driving features installed on newer vehicles, such as steering controls, automatic braking, and collision avoidance systems, can help to reduce the risks. However, it is still important for motorists to be aware of warning signs and to take some simple precautions to prevent highway hypnosis from happening. This includes:
- Get enough rest, particularly when heading out on a long trip;
- Be aware of how fatigue and missing even an hour of sleep impacts your driving ability;
- Recognize what a complex task driving is and avoid any type of distraction;
- Focus on the road and what is going on around you, rather than getting lost in your own thoughts;
- Keep the window open and using vents to increase air circulation in the vehicle;
- Avoid sugary beverages or snacks while driving, which can cause a blood sugar crash and deplete energy levels.
Contact Our Monterey Car Accident Lawyer
Highway hypnosis is a common factor in Monterey car accidents but can be difficult to prove. To protect your rights in filing a claim, reach out to the Allen Law Firm. We provide the professional legal representation you need to get compensation. Call or contact our Monterey car accident lawyer and request a consultation today.