Dangerous Roads In Monterey Increase Car Accident Risks
Car accidents in Monterey are a common cause of personal injuries. These can have devastating impacts on victims and their families for long months or even years after a crash. These accidents are more likely to occur on traffic-congested roads and in busy intersections. Find out more about dangerous roads in our area and how to reduce your car accident risks when traveling on them.
Road Conditions Increase Monterey Car Accident Risks
Highway 1 through Big Sur is generally considered one of the most dangerous roads in our area. Narrow lanes, hairpin turns, a lack of lighting, frequent tourists making unexpected stops, and high speeds on the part of local drivers all combine to make this one of the most common places for car accidents in Monterey County.
However, other local roads create risks as well, often due to a combination of factors. These include:
- Road Construction: The Monterey County Department of Public Works maintains a list of road projects that are ongoing in our area. These can pose serious risks to drivers and are one of the places car accidents are most likely to happen.
- Unpaved roads: There are numerous unpaved, gravel roads in our area, frequently used by locals to access remote neighborhoods and scenic overlooks. It is harder to maintain control of your vehicle in these areas, which increases the risks of a crash.
- Tourist destinations: Cannery Row and other popular tourist destinations in our area typically pose higher risks in terms of car accidents.
- Canyon roads: Lower altitudes tend to be more susceptible to heavy fog, which impacts visibility on local roads.
Reduce Your Risks When Traveling AOn Dangerous Roads In Monterey
Money Geek recently issued a list of the dangerous roads in California, with interstates at opposite ends of the state cited as being among the most potentially deadly. However, while road conditions can increase the risk of a crash, reckless behavior on the part of drivers is still typically the underlying cause.
When traveling on any road, and particularly those with a high rate of crashes, it is important to take precautions. These include:
- Follow posted speed limits;
- Go slower in rough road conditions, construction areas, and adverse weather;
- Adhere to traffic signs and signals, coming to a complete stop at needed;
- Keep an eye out for blind spots;
- Be courteous of other motorists on the road;
- Give other drivers plenty of space and avoid tailgating or improper passing;
- Avoid driving under the influence of any amount of alcohol or drugs;
- Be aware of how even an hour or two of missed sleep impacts driving abilities and increases car accident risks.
Contact Our Monterey Car Accident Lawyer
Treacherous road conditions and reckless driving on the part of motorists both increase the risk of car accidents in Monterey. If you or someone you love is injured, contact The Allen Law Firm right away. Our Monterey car accident lawyers fight to get you the compensation you need to recover. Request a consultation today.