Drunk Driving Car Accidents In Monterey: Know The Risks And Your Rights In Seeking Compensation
Drunk driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents in Monterey. Each year, they leave hundreds of people suffering potentially devastating personal injuries. Throughout the next two months, public safety officials are focusing on raising awareness and increasing law enforcement efforts at apprehending offenders. Find out more about the risks and your rights in seeking compensation.
Drive Sober Or Get Pulled Over
The annual Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over Campaign is sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). From August 17 through September 5, 2023, national public safety officials will be partnering with local law enforcement agencies throughout the country. In addition to increasing efforts at apprehending drunk drivers on the road, it also works to help raise awareness of the risks.
While most people know about the dangers of driving drunk, many are unaware of the impacts having just one or two drinks can have on driving abilities. These can include:
- Lack of coordination, making it harder to perform the multiple tasks required by driving;
- Impaired reflexes, making you less likely to respond appropriately to hazards or sudden changes in traffic conditions;
- Vision disturbances, such as seeing double and increased sensitivity to glare;
- Impaired judgment, making you less likely to be aware of how alcohol may be impacting your driving skills.
Seeking Compensation For Drunk Driving Accidents In Monterey
Statistics from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) indicate that over 400 drunk driving accidents in Monterey County happen each year. That averages to nearly 34 per month. Unfortunately, even if you take precautions, such as never driving under the influence and relying on ridesharing after a night out drinking, the reckless behavior of other drivers on the road can put you at risk.
If you are injured by a drunk driver in Monterey, you have the right to seek compensation for property damages, medical expenses, lost wages, and other costs you incur as a result. While insurance may not cover your total losses, filing a car accident lawsuit against those involved is an option. Follow these steps to protect your rights in filing a claim:
- Report any type of car accident immediately to law enforcement;
- Make sure an accident report is filed, listing details about the driver and where the crash occurred;
- Gather evidence at the scene, such as photos and contact information for witnesses;
- Contact our Monterey car accident lawyer before making statements to insurers or accepting any settlements.
Request A Consultation With Our Monterey Car Lawyer Today
Drunk driving car accidents in Monterey can leave you and your passengers suffering potentially devastating personal injuries. At the Allen Law Firm, we provide the caring support and professional legal representation you need to hold those at fault accountable in a claim. To get the total amount of compensation you are entitled to, call or contact our Monterey car accident lawyer online and request a consultation.