Be Aware Of Burn Injury Risks In Monterey
One of the most common types of personal injuries, burn injuries in Monterey can happen due to a variety of causes and are capable of causing serious harm. Recovery is painful and can be a long process, while permanent scarring and disfigurement may prevent you from working or engaging in your usual hobbies and activities. Our Monterey burn injury attorneys explain more about how they happen and the types of compensation you may be entitled to in a claim.
National Burn Injury Awareness Week
National Burn Injury Awareness Week is observed annually each February. Sponsored by the American Burn Association (ABA), it raises awareness of an unfortunately common problem and one that can happen in a variety of situations.
Most people associate burn injuries with accidents that occur around the home. However, burn injuries can also occur due to the following causes:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Cars have the potential to burst into flames on impact. Burn injuries can also occur in motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents due to contact with hot engine parts or vehicle fluids.
- Commercial vehicle accidents: Fires, hot surfaces or fluids, and chemical leaks are common concerns in these accidents.
- Recreational accidents: Accidents involving boats, jet skis, dirt bikes, and other recreational vehicles can result in burn injuries in Monterey.
- Premises liability accidents: Burn injuries can happen in hotels, stores, restaurants, concert venues, and other public places due. They are an obvious risk when attending public bonfires and community fireworks displays.
According to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), close to 400 people suffer burn injuries in Monterey County each year. When they happen due to negligence on the part of others involved, you have the right to hold them accountable.
Compensation For Burn Injuries In Monterey
Burn injuries are categorized according to degree. First-degree burns impact the surface area of the skin while third-degree burns penetrate deep into nerves and soft tissues, potentially impacting body organs and systems.
It is important to seek medical care for any type of burn injury in Monterey, regardless of severity. These injuries have the potential to cause serious harm, impacting you and your loved ones for years to come. When they happen due to accidents in which others are to blame, you have the right to seek compensation for your losses. Under the California Civil Code, this may include:
- Economic damages, covering medical expenses, lost wages, and other tangible costs associated with burn injuries in Monterey;
- Non-economic damages, compensating you for pain, suffering, and any scarring or disfigurement;
- Exemplary damages, which is an additional amount that punishes the at-fault party in cases of gross negligence.
Request A Consultation With Our Monterey Burn Injury Attorney
Burn injuries often happen due to accidents in which others are to blame. At the Allen Law Firm, we help you get the compensation you need to recover. To request a consultation with our Monterey burn injury attorney, call or contact us online today.