How To Get The Maximum Amount In A Car Accident Settlement
With the heavy traffic in our area, car accidents in Monterey happen regularly. Serious personal injuries can result, impacting you for years into the future. When the reckless and negligent actions of others are to blame, you have the right to hold them liable. However, you only have one chance to get the compensation you need to recover. Our Monterey car accident lawyer offers tips to help you get the maximum amount in your claim.
Protecting Your Rights In The Immediate Aftermath Of A Car Accident In Monterey
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), roughly 250 car accidents in Monterey happen each year. Reckless behavior on the part of other motorists, such as speeding, running red lights, or driving distracted, is often to blame.
When you suffer personal injuries in a car accident due to the negligence of others involved, you have the right to hold them accountable. However, to protect your personal well-being and your rights in filing a claim, it is important to follow these steps:
- Report any type of car accident resulting in personal injuries or property damages to the police immediately;
- Get names, driver’s license numbers, and contact and insurance information for other motorists involved;
- Get the names and phone numbers of any witnesses at the scene;
- Take photos with your cell phone of the accident site, the damage to your vehicle, and your injuries;
- Seek medical care, regardless of your symptoms, and follow all doctor instructions regarding follow-up care and work or activity restrictions;
- Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible.
Dealing With Auto Insurance Companies After A Car Accident In Monterey
Under California Department of Motor Vehicle guidelines, all motorists are required to carry a mandatory minimum amount of insurance coverage to protect themselves and others on the road. In the days after a car accident in Monterey, you will likely be contacted by an insurance representative, looking to settle your claim.
In dealing with insurers, remember that they are for-profit businesses and have financial incentives to deny or downplay your claim. To protect your rights in a settlement, follow these tips:
- Say as little as possible and avoid elaborating on what you think was the cause of your accident;
- Avoid admitting even partial liability;
- Do not downplay or over-inflate damages suffered;
- Resist any immediate settlements, which are likely to be far less than what you deserve.
To protect yourself, speak with our Monterey car accident lawyer before signing any documents or accepting any settlements. We negotiate on your behalf, pushing for the maximum amount. If your injuries are severe or the driver is uninsured, we can guide you in filing a car accident lawsuit in Monterey.
Contact Our Monterey Car Accident Lawyer Today
You only have one chance to get compensation for a car accident in Monterey. At The Allen Law Firm, we help you get the maximum amount you deserve. Call or contact our Monterey car accident lawyer online to schedule a consultation today.