Can You Sue Someone After A Drunk Driving Accident In Monterey?
Drunk driving accidents in Monterey are unfortunately common and can have devastating impacts on victims and their families. At the Allen Law Firm, we help them get the compensation they need to recover. You can sue someone after a drunk driving accident. Find out more about the problem and the actions we can take to protect your rights in a lawsuit.
The Terrible Toll Of Drunk Driving In Monterey
The Transportation Agency of Monterey County (TAMF) reports that over 1,000 people are injured each year in alcohol-related car accidents in our area. Nearly 100 of these victims never recover. Considering the terrible toll drunk driving takes on our community, police are aggressive in apprehending offenders. In addition to any criminal charges the at-fault party may be facing, they can also be held liable in civil court.
When any type of car accident in Monterey happens, injured victims and their families have the right to seek compensation and may be entitled to a settlement through insurance policies the at-fault driver has in place. However, these policies typically fail to cover even a portion of the financial losses suffered when drunk driving car accidents in Monterey happen. These costs typically include:
- Medical expenses: Current and future medical costs associated with drunk-driving accident injuries can easily total millions of dollars.
- Lost wages: You may be unable to work during your recovery while the severity of your injuries may cause long-term disabilities that impact future earnings.
- Pain and suffering: You are entitled to compensation for pain, mental anguish, lost enjoyment in life, and other intangible losses caused by a drunk driving accident in Monterey.
Filing A Drunk Driving Lawsuit In Monterey
Rather than settling with insurers and accepting less than the total amount you may be entitled to in an insurance claim, filing a car accident lawsuit in Monterey is often a better option. Under the California Civil Code, a lawsuit may entitle you to additional compensation not available through insurers. This includes exemplary damages, designed to punish the drunk driver and to send a message to others, potentially preventing drunk driving accidents in the future.
Our Monterey drunk driving accident lawyer provides the professional legal help you need to file a DUI lawsuit through the local court. Actions we can take on your behalf include:
- Reviewing your claim and the circumstances surrounding your collision;
- Conducting our own investigations, gathering the evidence needed to support your case;
- Negotiating with the at-fault party and their legal representatives;
- Making strong legal arguments before a judge and jury to get the maximum amount possible;
- Following through and taking additional actions, such as property liens and wage garnishment, to ensure your financial judgment gets paid.
Contact Our Monterey Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Today
Drunk driving accidents in Monterey have devastating impacts on victims and their families. At the Allen Law Firm, we help them get the compensation they need to recover. To discuss your rights in filing a car accident lawsuit, request a consultation with our Monterey drunk driving accident lawyer today.