Monterey Dog Bite Injuries: Know The Risks And How To Protect Your Rights To Compensation
Dogs of all sizes and breeds make for popular pets and can be sighted at shopping plazas, dining or entertainment venues, and public parks throughout Monterey. Whether people bring their four-legged friends for fun or as a means of support, it can create serious risks.
Any dog is capable of biting, scratching, or otherwise causing serious personal injuries, given certain types of situations. Find out more about the risks and how to protect your rights to compensation when dog bite injuries in Monterey happen.
Monterey Dog Bite Risks
While dogs are one of the most beloved types of pets, owners need to be aware of the risks they pose. Monterey County Health officials report that up to five million dog bites occur throughout the United States each year. Any breed or size dog can become hard to control and hostile to others in certain situations:
- If they are hurt or feel threatened;
- If they are startled or scared;
- If they are hungry or otherwise neglected;
- If they are protecting their owner;
- If protecting their property or young;
- If they have previously been abused.
Dogs are welcome in many public places, which increases the odds of dog bites in Monterey County. Signs that an attack may be imminent include heavy panting on the dog’s part, snarling or growling, staring intently, crouching, and raised fur on their backs.
Your Rights To Compensation For Monterey Dog Bite Injuries
Under the California Civil Code, dog owners can be held liable for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages victims suffer due to dog bites. To protect your rights in a Monterey dog bite claim, follow these steps:
- Notify the police immediately, and provide a description of the dog and the owner.
- Seek immediate medical care, regardless of the seeming severity of your injuries. Not doing so could result in scarring, infections, and other complications.
- Have your doctor complete and file an Animal Bite Report through the county, documenting what happened.
- Follow their instructions regarding ongoing care and any work or other activity restrictions.
In addition to physical harm, dog bite injuries in Monterey often leave victims with lingering trauma. You are entitled to compensation for what you have suffered, either through the dog owner’s property insurer or by filing a dog bite lawsuit against them in court.
Contact Our Monterey Dog Bite Lawyer And Request A Consultation
Dog bite injuries in Monterey can cause a devastating amount of harm. This includes scarring, disfigurement, infections, and symptoms of trauma for years after an attack. At the Allen Law Firm, we help you get the compensation you need to recover.
As experienced Monterey dog bite lawyers, we can hold the dog owner liable either through their insurer or by filing a personal injury lawsuit against them. For trusted legal guidance in filing a dog bite injury claim, give us a call or contact our office online and request a consultation today.